Sunday, November 23, 2014

William's Birth Story

Well when I left you all a little over a month ago I know you were all waiting with baited breath for the arrival of our little man. I was waiting with equal excitement but far less patience, but finally 1 month ago he finally made his move into this world. I have taken little break from the blog while we settled into our new normal,I guess you could call it my mat leave, but really ti just took me this long to get half an hour to myself. Anyway, I am glad to be back and I guess we should start at the beginning as I fill you in on our lost month.

On Wednesday the 15th of October I began to feel timeable contractions sometime after supper.  They were not super strong, but they were consistent and frequent.  We timed and timed and timed and they just kept keeping on and keeping on. Long story short we did not have a baby on the 15th, nor the 16th, instead I had over 36 hours of rather intense false about which gave out around bedtime on the 16th. That was the start to the longest week+ of my life, hardly wanted to leave the house for fear of taking my frustrations out on a well meaning but rude old lady. Seriously the question "no baby yet?" is never, never ok to ask. Do I look like there is a baby here? Did I leave him in the car? No, but maybe you should leave you useless comments in there next time. I now have great sympathy for the preverbal tea pot, I know what it is to be watched.

On the morning of Thursday the 23rd we began our now weekly round of checks. I went first to my OB for a check and a talk, first he determined that I was 2 cms dilated. That changed our "plan B" birth plan. Due to complications with Evie's birth a chemical induction was not a good choice for us, so I had always known that if he did not arrive fairly promptly we would be looking at a repeat c-section. However with the beginning of dilation already under way the Dr. gave us the option of breaking my water instead and seeing what happens. We then had about an hour to think about it as we headed over to the hospital for our fetal assessment. So with all our i's dotted and t's crossed we left the hospital with plans to return in 16 hours to have our baby.

We picked up Evie and headed out for a little celebratory dinner and ice cream and then did a little shopping. I sent hubster alone into the last couple stores as I was feeling particularly crappy and tired (though I was certainly no stranger to those feelings at that point). We headed for home and eventually I laid down with Evie to put her to bed because we decided that for her last night as an only child Evie could sleep in our bed all night. While laying with her I started to feel kind of crampy, but barely paid attention as everything felt crappy anyway. By the time we laid down ourselves to go to bed I thought I was feeling worse, but it was hard to tell. I got back up about midnight and began timing my contractions and just chilled out a bit waiting to see if we would finally get somewhere. Somewhere after 1 o'clock decided that it was finally the real thing and woke him up.

By the time was got to the hospital and got settled it was 2:30 in the morning and things were getting intense. It felt like it took them forever to get everything in order and get a Doctor in to check me but she proclaimed I was doing well at 4cms and I got a blissful shot of fentenol. Shortly afterward my water broke and it was determined that meconium was present, this of course adds a bit of complication to the delivery. However no one told me that the fentenol was so short lived! I was literally begging the nurse for another shot as we were preparing for the anesthesiologist's arrival. He finally arrived and as he was trying to place the epidural I could feel my body pushing involuntarily. I was worried because I knew it was a bad idea to push before you are complete, but I could not fight it. When it was in the anesthesiologist suggest the OB check me again, the OB arrived and was surprised to find me at 10 cms. They all began to scramble. I even heard an audible "What?!" from the nurses desk when they summoned them into the action.

By 5am 3 Doctors and about 7 nurses were assembled in my room and it was time to push for real. I did a couple practice pushes and the Doctor was pleased by how he was moving down. The Doctor encouraged me to push like strongly and frequently as he wanted this baby out quickly because the baby was not a big fan of the process. I went to work and less than 10 minutes later he was here!

At 5:28 am October 24th, William David Everett was born at 9lbs 16 oz and 55cms long.

Ok, that was a lot of typing for me and reading for you. Lets cut it off at that celebratory moment and I will see you soon with some more storytelling from out first month.

No comments:

Post a Comment