-potatoes, about 2 cups finally chopped. Use more or less according to taste
-an assortment of white fish, clams, scallops, shrimp, lobster, crab, mussels, oysters or anything you choose ( I use a can of clams with water, about a cup of scallops, a cup of shrimp and a cup of chowder mix.
-a can of evaporated milk
-a cup of mushrooms
-Corn starch slurry (optional)
1. Chop up your potatoes and boil until soft
3. Drain the majority of the water from the potatoes providing you have some clam juice going in. I drain a lot because I like my chowder thick.
4. Add everything else! (my Dad would shudder at mushrooms in chowder, but I can't imagine a meal without any kind of vegetable!)
5. If you like it really thick you can add some slurry to preference.
6. Here is the delicate part, you need to bring it just to a boil to activate the thickener, but not so hot as to curdle the broth.
Serve with fresh rolls and butter.
Thanks for reading and let me know how you mixed it up!